Inguinal Hernia Surgery in India
Hernia are bulges protruding form a weak point on belly (abdomen) through which intestine and abdominal fat comes out to lie just below the skin. It can also be found in groin, upper thigh and chest. There are several types of hernia like inguinal hernia (direct and indirect), femoral hernia, umbilical hernia, umbilical hernia, epigastria hernia and incision hernia.
Dr Atul Mishra is expert and specialized hernia surgeon and has already operated more than 5000 cases of hernia. He has vast experience in treating complicated and large hernias. He is a pioneer in latest advanced laparoscopic (keyhole) minimally invasive techniques for hernia repair.
𝙒𝙝𝙤 𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖?
Conditions that lead to increased abdominal pressure are at more risk of developing hernia –
o Persistent cough
o Being overweight or pregnant
o Lifting, carrying or pushing heavy loads
o Straining on the toilet: constipation
𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙮𝙢𝙥𝙩𝙤𝙢𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖?
o Mostly they are asymptomatic/ no symptoms.
o People just notice a swelling or bulge which gets bigger while standing or straining and disappear while lying down/sleeping.
o Some might feel a dragging/aching sensation.
o The swelling tends to get bigger with time.
o Symptoms develop when there is a complication like strangulation. This happens when the content of abdomen (intestine) come out and can not go back. There will be severe pain in the region and vomiting. Overlying skin will become red. Urgent surgery is needed in this situation otherwise the blood supply to intestine gets cut-off and the intestine in hernia might die (gangrene).
𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖 𝙩𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙙?
Surgery is the only treatment for hernia. Now a days, most of the hernias are operated laparoscopically (key hole or minimally access technique)
Minimally Invasive Hernia Repair – The surgery is done with a laparoscope which has a small tiny camera, hernia mesh and small tool with it. So the patient can return back to their normal routine earlier as the incision made is smaller.
𝘼𝙙𝙫𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙜𝙚𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙇𝙖𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙤𝙨𝙘𝙤𝙥𝙮:
Laparoscopy has clear advantage over open repair in the way of less pain, less complications like wound infection, small and more cosmetic scar, shorter hospital stay, early return to work and daily activities and less chance of recurrence (repeat formation of hernia after surgery).
𝘽𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙮:
* One week before surgery it is much essential to stop taking drugs that are causing the thinning of the blood. Drugs like Clpodogrel and Acitrome or Warfarin should be stopped with the doctor’s advice.
* Stop herbal supplements and check the fitness of your cardio and diabetes.
* Gain adequate knowledge about surgery and be prepared for post surgical care.
𝘼𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙜𝙚𝙧𝙮:
* Avoid heavy weight lifting, exercises, and physical works with excessive strain a few weeks after surgery
* Cough or laugh loud only with support to the surgical site until one week after surgery
𝘿𝙊’𝙨 & 𝘿𝙊𝙉’𝙏’𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙥𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙃𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙖:
1. Increased intake of fibers in diet. ( Fruits, vegetables and grains)
2. Drink plenty of water and other fluid to prevent constipation.
3. Exercise regularly: sweat and loose excess weight and toxins.
4. Eat small meals more frequently in place of one or two large meals
1. Stop smoking and drinking
2. Don’t reduce the amount of food you eat
3. Avoid lying down or bending after meal
4. Avoid wearing tight clothes
5. Avoid food difficult to digest
6. Avoid strenuous activities like heavy weight lifting
𝗧𝘆𝗽𝗲𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗮𝘀:
This happens at the site of previous surgery. This occurs as a result of poor wound healing at the time of previous surgery or as a result of complications like in infection. It is rare after laparoscopic or key hole surgery.
This occurs through or around belly button (umbilicus). It can be present at the time of birth and needs no repair as most of them resolve by the end of one year. If it persists or appears after 5 years of age then operation is required.
These are most common hernias and occur in groin region. They are more common in men.
𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐜 incisional 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐃𝐫 𝐀𝐭𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐫𝐚 𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐓𝐮𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐥
𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐩𝐢𝐜 inguinal 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐞𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐃𝐫 𝐀𝐭𝐮𝐥 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐫𝐚 𝐚𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐓𝐮𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐥
You can visit our Facebook page